Local Organizing Committee (LOC) of 2017 Awka Diocesan DOSAD Priests Games in a group photograph after their meeting, June 1, 2017 at St. Joseph the Worker Chaplaincy Awka 3rd left front row is the LOC chairman, Rev Fr. Dr. Francis Chidume
On March 28, 2017 at St Anthony's Catholic Church Enugwu-Ukwu Jubilee Stadium, the Catholic bishop of Awka Diocese Most Rev Paulinus Ezeokafor, assisted by Bishops Peter Okpaleke and Jonas Benson Okoye performed the ceremonial kick off of Awka Diocesan Priests games 2017.
This Saturday June 17 at same venue the games would start proper with Akpu Region taking on Adazi Region in Football while Ekwulobia Region will compete with Awka region in Volleyball. Other encounters will take place at proper regions subsequently.
The Local Organizing Committee (LOC) of the priests' games led by the Chancellor of the diocese as Chairman, Rev Fr Dr Francis Chidume, rose from her meeting on June 1 at St Joseph De Worker Chaplaincy Awka with the following guidelines for the games:
1. The games will compete according to regions; Adazi, Akpu, Awka and Ekwulobia.
2. Five sports events are involved; Football, Volleyball, Tennis, Badminton and Table Tennis.
3. The events will be on home and away basis.
4. All Laws of the games apply specifically.
5. There will be no age limit to the games. All are free to compete.
6. The opening games will hold at a neutral venue; the Diocesan Sports Centre-St Anthony's Enugwu-Ukwu.
7. Akpu versus Adazi in Football 3.30pm, Ekwulobia vs Awka in Volleyball 3.15pm.
8. Games hold on Saturdays June 17, 24, July 1 then a break. Games resume second week of August. Individual sports fixtures like Tennis, Badminton and Table Tennis may however continue on convenience.
9. Age grade Tennis tournament may be held for veteran Tennis players 40-39, 50 and above in the spirit of the games.
10. LOC thanks Engr Barth Nwibe for assisting Tennis sponsorship with N500,000. The games are open to sponsors, supporters and partners.