• Home
  • |
  • About Us
  • |
  • Contact Us
  • |
  • Login
  • |

Commissioner for Information and Communication Strategy, Ogbuefi Tony Nnacheta (middle),displays a prototype of the fence to be built by individuals living along  the Old Enugu/Onitsha  Road as part of the beautification of Anambra State. On the Commissioner’s left is Chief Benjamin Umerah, Perm Sec Ministry of Information. Far left is Mr. Tony Nezieanya, PA to the  Commissioner.

Contrary to widespread media reports that the Anambra State Government had sacked her executive council, the entire government machinery remains intact. The State Commissioner for Information and Communication Strategy, Ogbuefi Tony Nnacheta, stated this on behalf of Gov Willie Obiano at a media briefing in his office in Awka last Thursday. Jude Atupulazi reports.
Few days ago, the news media were awash with reports of the dissolution of the Anambra State Executive Council ahead of the end of the first tenure of Gov Willie Obiano, March 16.
But reacting to it, Nnacheta said the reports embarrassed the state government which felt pained by the fact that those behind the reports had opportunity to seek clarification before going to press.
'His excellency was embarrassed by those stories. He was pained to learn that he was accused of what he had not done in broad daylight. It is all the more painful because those behind the reports had opportunity to call for clarification,' he said.
The commissioner said the rumours might have been triggered  by the leakage of an internal memo requesting the exco members to do the normal by handing over before the 16th of March.
He insisted however that Obiano's first tenure would end on March 16, same day that all appointees would also stop work. He said that after that, the machinery of government would be run by senior civil servants until Obiano's swearing in on March 17.
Further describing what happened as a national embarrassment, Nnacheta said that the executive council would have a valedictory session in the coming week where a formal dissolution would take place.
He said that Gov Obiano had kept faith with his earlier promise of not doing anything out of character and said the governor would carry same into his second tenure.
On the N20m CommunityChoose-your-project Initiative, the commissioner disclosed that 145 communities had already keyed into the second tranche of the project, while announcing that 167 communities had finished the first phase.
He said that 34 communities, which included 12 that were yet to conclude the first tranche, had not started the second tranche, a development, he said, the government was worried about.
This is even as the commissioner revealed that a total of N7B had been expended on markets in the state in the first tenure of the governor, assuring that the government would not rest on her oars.
On other projects done and being done by the government, Nnacheta gave them as follows:
Massive street lighting; facelift on Enugu/Onitsha Express and decision by government that those living along the road on the old Enugu/Onitsha axis should build fences to be financed by the individuals as part of efforts to beautify the state; as well as removal of illegal structures which would soon commence.
He said that Anambra had just emerged the best state with lowest percentage of examination malpractices from a study recently conducted by a group and said the state governor was desirous of further reducing it from 3% to zero %.
This is even as he disclosed plans by the state government to offer automatic employment to all first class students from the state.

Leave a comment